Why do it?
There are a few key reasons worth mentioning.
1. The people you meet each day have their own individual challenges and needs. Many times there are needs that you personally cannot fulfill. Rather than telling them you can't help them, you can say that you know someone who can.
2. Nothing helps create community better than connecting other people. If you noticed two or three of your friends have a common interest, getting them together to discuss that interest can only help the cause. I have done this numerous times over the years and have always found that when a group gets together to discuss challenges, they are able to help one another.
3. The network economy benefits from shared information. Think about it in terms of the internet. Basically, the internet makes it possible for people all over the world to meet one another who have never had a chance to meet before. For that reason, we can reach out to a doctor in another country who may have done extensive research on an illnesss we have seen for the first time and through that connection we have more information than we ever thought possible.
4. Generosity begets generosity. The more we are willing to share our networks and our knowledge, the more others will be inspired tio share theirs. Sure there will still be people who hoard their connections and opportunities, but everyone has it in them to be generous and to help if we ask.
5. Connecting pools everyone's resources. Wikipedia wouldn't be possible without connectors, marketing wouldn't have much reach, and our social networks would be considerably less social. We each have amazing things to give and have tons of ways to help and if we choose not to make an introduction, we waste those gifts that have been given to us.
So take some time today to make a connection. It can be small, like introducing one friend to another or it can be big, like putting 8 people on the same email chain and organizing a dinner. Give it a try if you've never done it before.
You may be surprised with the results
P.S.- I have extended the earl bird deadline for ConnectorCon tickets. We have even more speakers and workshops. I hope you'll join us. You can grab your tickets HERE